Making the Most out of Small Spaces in New York City
New York condos for sale come at a price that is far higher than what many can afford, and with the ever increasing price per square foot in New York, more and more city planners are approving the development of what are commonly referred to as “micro-homes.” For most people nowadays, buying New York condos means adjusting to life with less living space, but with a bit of creativity and careful planning, you can make the most out of your small space — both from a practical as well as an aesthetic perspective. Consider the following tips:
- Take advantage of the central location. If you are buying a micro-unit so that you can afford to live in the city, then take advantage of your prime location. Don’t be a hermit, and explore the city life. Use the city as an extension of your house, and by making NYC your living room, the small size of your condo or studio will be less perceptible.
- Choose colors wisely. Paint the ceiling a light color to give the impression of having higher ceilings. Light colored paint on the walls will also give an overall impression of having a larger space. If you want to add more spice to your color palette, pick just one of your walls and make it an accent wall where you can use a brighter, deeper, or more exotic color. Use that same color as accents throughout the rest of the room.
- Scale down. A small space is not where you want to put a giant, deep cushioned, sectional sofa or a heavy, dark wooden kitchen table.
- De-Clutter. Decide what you really need in your home and get rid of the rest. Clutter always makes a space seem smaller than it really is. Consider donating your items to Goodwill or Salvation Army as they may offer free pick-up services for large items such as a bed or a shelf.
- Go clear. New York condos are the perfect place to include funky, unusual furniture. Consider using Lucite, or clear furniture. Clear chairs, for instance, around your dining room table will make the space seem bigger and less cluttered. You might even want to purchase a clear glass table as well and then keep a vase full of brightly colored flowers as a centerpiece.
- Multi-purpose rooms. New York condos are frequently efficiencies or loft style spaces. This may mean that you have one room where you must entertain, cook and sleep. Consider installing a Murphy wall bed that can be tucked away during the day and pulled out at night.
- Levitate your decor. Make the best use of wall space by installing floating shelves for storage. You can put these shelves in a kitchen, living room, bedroom, or bathroom and use them for different purposes in each space.
If you are looking for a “micro-home” among New York condos for sale, you may wish to focus your search in the Upper Eastside of Manhattan or Upper Westside by Central Park. These extremely small spaces by traditional standards are typically less than 400 square feet but include everything you need to live comfortably. What’s more, a new trend is developing to meet the needs of the increasing demand for reasonably priced housing in the city are pre-fabricated “pod” homes. Developers are building entire apartment buildings that are made up of 200-400 square foot living spaces for New Yorker’s who want to live in the Big Apple but can’t afford the high cost of a spacious apartment or condo. For more information about these “micro-homes,” reach out to a local New York real estate agent.